These directions are intended for instructors who wish to copy an entire Peerceptiv course (including all assignment links) into a current Canvas course. This process allows Peerceptiv to create assignments in the Canvas course that are already linked to the corresponding Peerceptiv assignments. If you choose to do this, please be aware that you must first delete all existing Canvas assignments that are associated with Peerceptiv and that may have been copied in from a previous Canvas course. If you would prefer not to delete your Canvas assignments, then please see this article: "Using Peerceptiv in Canvas," and view the section titled "Setting Up Peerceptiv in a Copied Canvas Course."
Note: If you and your students are accessing Peerceptiv through Canvas, please always log into Peerceptiv through Canvas. You will not be able to add assignments or sync with Canvas unless you start in Canvas.
Important First Step: Delete Peerceptiv assignments from a Copied Canvas course
If you have copied a Canvas course from a previous semester or another instructor and it contains Peerceptiv assignments, please follow these steps BEFORE importing the new Peerceptiv assignments.
1) Delete all previous (copied in) Peerceptiv assignments. These assignments do not have working links and will need to be replaced with the new assignments when you copy them in. You should delete them now so you (and your students) aren’t confused if you have duplicates later. Go to the Assignments list and delete any of these assignments by clicking on the three dots to the right of the assignment.
IMPORTANT: If you had detailed assignment descriptions in Canvas that you want to include in this semester's materials, please copy and paste them before deleting the assignment. You can include them in the Canvas or Peerceptiv assignment description after copying in the full course of Peerceptiv assignments.
2. Repeat this for all Peerceptiv assignments, deleting the previous semester's assignments before adding Peerceptiv in the navigation bar and copying in the new assignments.
Add Peerceptiv to the Navigation Bar
You are able to add Peerceptiv as a Course Navigation link where all Peerceptiv assignments can be launched from the same link. This is especially useful for students in courses with many Peerceptiv assignments as it launches the students into the course dashboard in Peerceptiv with all assignments available for their access.
- Navigate to Course - Settings - Navigation.
- By default, BETA Peerceptiv will be at the bottom of the navigation list as a disabled link.
- To enable BETA Peerceptiv being listed in the Course Navigation bar, simply drag the BETA Peerceptiv navigation item into the list in the desired position and click Save.
Note: If you add BETA Peerceptiv to the course navigation bar in Canvas, students will go to the course-level dashboard in Peerceptiv. This screen will show them all published Peerceptiv assignments in the course but will NOT take them directly to the assignment task that is currently due. If you add Peerceptiv to a specific assignment in Canvas, then students will go directly to that assignment in Peerceptiv.
Copy an Entire Course
Instructors or IDs can copy an entire Peerceptiv course with all assignments into the new Canvas course without having to copy individual assignments.
- Follow the directions to add Peerceptiv to the navigation bar if you haven’t already.
- Click on BETA Peerceptiv in the Course Navigation bar.
- That will take you to the new course creation screen. However, do not create a new course. Instead, click Copy an Existing Course.
- Choose the correct course, add the information for the current course, then, click Create. Please note that you can only create synchronous courses from a copied synchronous course or asynchronous courses from a copied asynchronous course.
- Please check the following:
a. Peerceptiv course-level settings, especially the semester and time zone.
b. Peerceptiv assignments: Click on each assignment and check the following:
i. Assignment settings - including deadlines
iii. Publication status if you want any assignments to be visible to students immediately.
Note: These settings can be checked in Peerceptiv without navigating back to Canvas.
Return to the Canvas course and refresh the page or navigate to Assignments. You will now see the assignment links for the newly-created assignments in the Canvas course.
a. Click on the assignment name and then Edit Assignment Settings on the far right.
b. Then, check that the assignment description (if any), points, and assignment group are correct.
c. Edit the Canvas-side assignment settings of the newly created assignments to load the Peerceptiv assignments in a new tab. Loading Peerceptiv assignments in a new tab is important for optimal functionality. Click Save after making these changes.