This article covers how to manually assign reviewers. Most Peerceptiv assignments should use random reviewers because this is easier for the instructor, decreases reviewer bias, and ensures valid grades and a smoother assignment flow for most students. Randomized reviewing is the default and there is no need for instructor intervention. However, if you want to assign reviewers manually, this article covers how to do it.
Note: Reviewers can only be assigned to a submission after it has been submitted. You can assign reviewers during the submission phase, but no reviewers are assigned in Peerceptiv to a submission that has not yet been submitted. For this reason, we recommend assigning reviewers at the end of the submission phase or when the reviewing phase starts. You should also check for late submissions during the review phase and assign reviewers to those submissions.
Step 1: Create a spreadsheet (save it as a CSV file) with the format shown below.
Note: If you are assigning reviewers in a group assignment, you must know the student who submitted for the group in order to assign reviewers to the group. You can only assign reviews to a submitter. You should either have group leaders who are pre-assigned to submit or you will need to click on each group's submission in the Progress table and determine the submitter that way.
Step 2: Go to the Peerceptiv assignment dashboard. Click on the gear icon and then Manage Reviews.
Step 3: Click Assign New Reviews.
Step 4: Click Choose CSV and then select the spreadsheet you created earlier or follow the directions in Step 1 to create a CSV file. Then click Upload.
You will see a list of the student or group submissions and the assigned reviewers.
Step 5: Click Finish. You will be taken back to the list of reviewers. If any reviewer has been incorrectly assigned or if others need to be added, you can click Assign New Reviews. If you are done assigning reviewers, click the X at the top right of the reviewer card.
- You can assign reviewers at any time (as long as there are submissions available). However, if the assignment is not in the reviewing phase, students will not be able to complete those reviews. You can edit the deadline in the settings if you need to re-open the reviewing phase.
- To delete a review, click on Progress and then select the student whose review you want to delete. Click Reviews Sent to delete the reviews assigned for them to complete or Reviews Received to delete reviews assigned to their submissions. Then click the trash can icon to delete the review.
- Deleting a review will unassign it. That reviewer will be able to request a new submission to review unless you manually assign them one.
- The progress chart only reflects completed reviews. If there are no completed reviews, you will see 0 under the review columns. However, if you click on a name, and then Reviews Received or Reviews Sent, you will be able to see who and what has been assigned for review.
- The only way to block students from being able to request submissions for review on their own is if you assign them the required number of submissions as in the assignment. If you want students to complete 3 reviews that you assign, be sure to assign all students 3 reviews before they start reviewing.
- Remember to check for late submissions (go to Progress - click on Submission Time and sort so the most recent are at the top of the column) and check that those submissions have reviews assigned to them. Reviewers will not be assigned in Peerceptiv unless the submission has been uploaded.
- If you assign reviewers, the student screen will display 'continue review' rather than 'start review' even though the student has not yet done any reviewing.
- If you assign reviews after some reviews have already been assigned or completed, previously assigned or completed reviews will never be deleted by uploading newly assigned reviewers. The only way to delete reviews is to manually delete each one through each individual's Progress tables.
- You cannot assign a student to review their own document. If you want students to review their own document, please choose the settings option 'Require students perform a self-review.'
Please sign in to leave a comment.